Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUEs) are an important aspect of anti-doping that athletes and Athlete Support Personnel need to be familiar with, and understand. TUEs give athletes the authorisation to participate in sport while using a medication or method of treatment that is prohibited as per the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List.
Dr Margo Mountjoy, TUE Chair Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and Pedro Gonçalves, ITA Science & Medical Project Manager, were our guest experts for the July edition. They provided answers to our most frequently asked questions on the subject, including:
• Who should apply for a TUE?
• Where and when can athletes apply?
• What are the criteria for granting a TUE, and how long does it take?
• Can I get a retroactive TUE?
• What if I need to renew a TUE?