The structure of the ITA reflects the recommendations of WADA’s ITA Policy Steering Group, a group composed of representatives from the Olympic Movement, public authorities and NADOs.
The main principles are the following:
- The ITA is established with full independence, constituted through a new Swiss Foundation. Given the requirement for a founding body, the IOC, on behalf of the Olympic Movement, is the founding body of the ITA.
- The composition of the ITA Board is as follows:
- Chair of the Board: Dr Valérie Fourneyron (please see below for more information)
- Mrs Kirsty Coventry, former Olympic swimmer, Minister of Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation in the Cabinet of Zimbabwe
- Prof. Dr Uğur Erdener, Member of the International Olympic Committee and President of the National Olympic Committee of Turkey
- Mr Francesco Ricci Bitti, President of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF)
- Prof. Peijie Chen, MD & PhD, Professor of Exercise Physiology, President of Shanghai University of Sport
ITA Board members are appointed for a renewable term of two years. The composition of the ITA Board is submitted to WADA’s Executive Committee for approval.
- A representative of WADA is invited to all meetings of the Board in an ex-officio, non-voting position.
- WADA is not responsible for or directly involved in the ITA, given its position as the independent global anti-doping compliance regulator.
- The ITA Director General is appointed by the ITA Board and has the overall responsibility of the operational running and management of the ITA, the conduct of all its activities and the actual administration of its assets.
Chair of the Board
Medical doctor specialised in sport medicine and traumatology, Mrs. Fourneyron, holder of the Order of Merit (the highest distinction bestowed by the French Republic), is a former French Minister for Youth & Sport, Mayor of the City of Rouen, parliamentary and European representative in the Executive Committee of the World Anti-Doping Agency. She has been unanimously appointed as Chair of the Board of the International Testing Agency (ITA) in September 2017.
Former Director of WADA’s European Office & IF Relations, Benjamin previously held the role of Head of Governance & Legal Affairs at the International Basketball Federation (FIBA). He has been appointed as ITA Director General on 14 February 2018.