The International Biathlon Union (IBU; German: Internationale Biathlon-Union) is the international governing body of Biathlon. The fundamental purposes of the IBU, among others, are to
- act as the governing body for Biathlon worldwide;
- play a leading role in the Olympic Movement, in particular by organising, supervising and officiating the Biathlon programme at the Olympic Games;
- use competitions, events, programmes, and other activities to promote, develop and encourage participation in Biathlon throughout the world;
- regulate Biathlon efficiently and effectively by developing Rules to be applied and enforced by the IBU and/or the NF Members wherever the sport is practised;
- protect the integrity of Biathlon and the IBU by implementing the highest standards of good governance and by developing and enforcing a comprehensive and broadly applicable integrity code.
The ITA is supporting IBU with the delivery of their anti-doping program since November 2018.
IBU currently delegates the services highlighted in blue to the ITA: